I’ve had a bit of trouble getting a handle on my current work-in-progress. It had such a promising start, judging from the critiques the first two acts have received. But I struggled with the third act, so I took some time away from it to write other things.
This story’s for a closed anthology, and it’s due in about a month. Time to get cracking again! So after doing another round of hack-and-slash copyedits, I decided the piece needed a soundtrack. So I picked some songs to mirror the sort of mood evoked from the picture above, and a couple of songs for different characters’ motivations.
- Chicago, “Prologue, August 29, 1968”
- –, “Someday (August 29, 1968)
- –, “While the City Sleeps”
- –, “State of the Union”
- –, “Dialogue (Pt. 1 & 2)”
- –, “All the Years”
- Depeche Mode, “Walking in My Shoes”
- Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, “Battle of the Species”
- Manic Street Preachers, “If You Tolerate This, Your Children Will Be Next”
- Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens, “I’ll Take the Long Road”
- Sons of Champlin, “Light Up the Candles”
Yes, I know there are a lot of Chicago songs on here, but at least it’s their cool ’70s and/or Robert Lamm-written stuff.